VH-ANW. Douglas C-47A-25-DK. c/n 13624. Was also registered as VH-GAK.


 

Construction completed at the Douglas Oklahoma City plant - June 1944

Built as a Douglas C-47A-25-DK

Delivered to the United States Army Air Force - June 16, 1944

Allocated the U. S. serial number 42-93685

Delivered to Pacific Air Transport Command, Manila - June 24, 1944

Withdrawn from use and transferred to U. S. Foreign Disposals Commission - 1945

Sold to Australian National Airways - December 1945

The aircraft had flown 2,135 hours at time of sale

Ferried Manila - Brisbane for conversion to civilian standards (Captain P. Gibbes) - December 13 - 14, 1945

Ferry route: Manila - Tacoblan - Morotai - Biak - Cooktown - Brisbane

Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-ANW (CofR 852) - December 13, 1945

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd, Melbourne

The aircraft was named 'Moogana' (shake hands)

Entered service with A.N.A. as a freighter - December 24, 1945

Converted to full passenger configuration with 24 seats - September 1947

Converted to Wright GR-1820-G202A cyclone engines - November / December 1948

Sold to Guinea Airways Ltd - May 28, 1954

Aircraft was renamed 'Bulolo'

Reregistered as VH-GAK - May 02, 1958

Registered to Guinea Airways Ltd

Reregistered as VH-ANW - January 25, 1960

Entered service with Ansett-ANA on mainly south-eastern Australia routes - February 11, 1960

Registered to Airlines of South Australia Pty Ltd - February 14, 1961

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd, Melbourne - December 14, 1964

Operated final Airlines of South Australia Adelaide - Maralinga - Adelaide service - December 21, 1967

Flight crew: Captain R. Weston; F/O J. Evans

Reregistered to Ansett Transport Industries (Operations) Pty Ltd, Melbourne - November 25, 1969

Ferried Adelaide - Melbourne (Essendon) for storage along with VH-ABR - March 15, 1971

Reactivated for Airlines of South Australia following the destruction of Friendship VH-FNE - March 28, 1971

Returned to service - March 29, 1971

Operated the final Airlines of S.A. scheduled DC-3 service Woomera - Adelaide - October 04, 1971

Withdrawn from use and ferried Adelaide - Melbourne (Essendon) - October 04, 1971

Donated to Dame Nancy Butterfield, a South Australian Senator - January 26, 1972

Intended to be used at the Fairfield Venture Youth Club playground at Youth Camp Fun Park, S.A.

Ferried Melbourne (Essendon) - RAAF Gawler - January 27, 1972

Flight crew: Captain P. Gibbes, W. Taylor; Hostess R. Sinnett

Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - January 27, 1972

Aircraft had flown 43,547 hours

Wings, tail, propellers removed over the next few days in preparation for road transportation to Chain of Ponds

Twelve Ansett engineers reassembled the aircraft at its new home

Provided enjoyment for many underprivilaged children at the Youth Camp for next 13 years

Acquired by Steve Campling, owner of a McDonalds Restaurant at Midland, Perth - 1985

It was his intention to mount the aircraft outside his restuarant for use as a food hall

Returned by road to Parafield Airport for refurbishment by Southern Air Maintenance - November 07, 1985

Refurbishment took 12 to 18 months to complete at a cost of some $AUD 140,000

Departed Adelaide by road for Midland, W.A. - July 20, 1987

Aircraft was painted to represent MMA DC-3 'VH-MMF - Fortescue'

Officially opened as the 'Flying Hamburger' by Dame Mary Durack Miller - December 07, 1987

Was a great success with patrons with some 2,500 people per week dining in the old aircraft

From time to time Ansett W.A. executives held breakfast sales meetings in the aircraft

During the 1990s MacDonalds Australia acquired the restaurant

By mid 1998 the aircraft had become a storage facility at the restaurant and suffered from an increase in vandalism

With a 'duty of care' to its employees and patrons MacDonalds took steps to remove the aging aircraft

Technical assistance was sought from the West Australian Museum of Aviation to dismantle the aircraft

Was intended to move the aircraft to the MacDonalds store at Ascot

These plans were abandoned and the aircraft was donated F.O.C. to the W.A.M.A.

Ownership transferred to W.A.M.A. - February 12, 2000

Transported by road to the RAAF Airfield at Caversham for storage and restoration - February 13, 2000

Used by the ABC in their TV series 'Shark Net' painted in a T.A.A. livery - November 2002

Maylands Historical Society approached the W.A.M.A. seeking to relocate the aircraft - January 2003

It was their intention to locate the aircraft to the old Maylands Aerodrome

Aircraft advertised for sale by the W.A.M.A. - March 22, 2003

Following an open-inspection of the aircraft at its present site tenders for its purchase closed - May 16, 2003

Purchased by Mr Blair Howe, Myalup, Western Australia - May 16, 2003

Departed Caversham on three semi-trailers to his property at Myalup, Busselton, W.A. - August 23, 2003

The 120km road trip took some 4 hours to complete

Wings and other equipment were refitted to the aircraft over the following days

Aircraft raised off the ground on metal stirrups to preserve the tyres - August 30, 2003

Mr Blair's reason for its purchase was to preserve it as he was concerned about its future if left with W.A.M.A.

 


 

VH-ANW. Guinea Airways Ltd - in the standard livery at Melbourne Airport, date unknown.

VH-ANW. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at West Beach Airport, May 1961.

VH-ANW. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Adelaide Airport, December 1969.

VH-ANW. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Adelaide Airport, April 1971.

VH-ANW. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Adelaide Airport, May 1971.

VH-ANW. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Chain of Ponds, Adelaide, September 1979.

VH-ANW. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Chain of Ponds, Adelaide, September 1979.
VH-ANW. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Chain of Ponds, Adelaide, September 1979.
 

 

VH-ANW. MacRobertson Miller Airlines - in the standard livery at Midland, W.A., November 1987.