VH-ANS. Douglas C-47-DL. c/n 6010.

It was also registered as: VH-GAJ.

 

Construction of this aircraft was completed at the Douglas Long Beach plant - October 1942

It was built as a Douglas C-47-DL

Delivered to the United States Army Air Force - October 31, 1942

Allocated the U. S. serial number '41-18649'

It was delivered to 5th Air Force at Brisbane - December 30, 1942

Allocated to the 39th Troop Carrier Squadron, 317th Troop Carrier Group - December 1942

The aircraft was named 'Duchess'

Allocated to the 21st Troop Carrier Squadron with radio call-sign 'VHCDH' - January 12, 1943

Allocated to the 46th Troop Carrier Squadron, 317th Troop Carrier Group - ?

Allocated to Air Technical Intelligence Unit at Brisbane (Eagle Farm) - ?

It was renamed 'The Real McCoy' after the unit's Commanding Officer Col. McCoy

Allocated to the 312th Bomb Group, U.S.A.A.F. - ?

Transferred to the R. A .A. F. to be operated by A.N.A. for the A.D.A.T.. - 1945

Operated by A.N.A. on night courier services under contract to the A.D.A.T. - June 25, 1945

Listed in the inventory for 322nd Troop Carrier Wing with field number 'W8649' - August 06, 1945

Withdrawn from use and transferred to U. S. Foreign Disposals Commission - December 1945

Sold to Australian National Airways - December 26, 1945

The aircraft had flown 2,317 hours

Converted by A.N.A. to civilian standards with Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 engines

Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-ANS (CofR 986) - May 22, 1946

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd, Melbourne

The aircraft was named 'Mongana' (blowfly)

Conversion to Wright GR-1820-G202A cyclone engines completed at Sydney - July 31, 1950

Registered to Guinea Airways Ltd - December 15, 1953

Sold to Guinea Airways Ltd - 1954

The aircraft was renamed 'Salamaua'

Reregistered as VH-GAJ - August 18, 1958

Registered to Guinea Airways Ltd

Reregistered as VH-ANS - January 25, 1960

Entered service with Airlines of South Australia - January 25, 1960

Registered to Ansett-ANA - February 11, 1960

Registered to Airlines of South Australia Pty Ltd - February 14, 1961

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd - December 14, 1964

Withdrawn from Airlines of South Australia service at Adelaide (West Beach) - January 1966

Ferried Adelaide (West Beach) - Melbourne (Essendon) for storage - January 28, 1966

Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - November 18, 1968

Sold to Simms Metal for scrapping - October 1969

Scrapped on site at Melbourne (Essendon) Airport - November 04 - 06, 1969

 

VH-ANS. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Adelaide West Beach Airport, September 1963.

(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 0251-473.)

VH-ANS. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Melbourne Essendon Airport, January 1966.

(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 0250-173.)

VH-ANS. Airlines of South Australia - in the standard livery at Melbourne Essendon Airport, date unknown.

(G. Bennett Collection Copyright Image 0250-885.)

VH-ANS. Airlines of South Australia - in the basic livery at Melbourne Essendon Airport, November 1969.

(G. Bennett Collection Copyright Image 0251-719.)