VH-ANP. Douglas C-49B-DO. c/n 4096.


 

Last of eight aircraft ordered new by Eastern Air Lines as DC-3-201Fs - 1940

Aircraft was to be configured to seat 21 passengers with a starboard passenger door

Powered by Wright Cyclone R1820-71 engines

Construction completed at the Douglas Santa Monica plant, California - February 18, 1941

This aircraft was impressed during production by the United States Army Air Corps

Redesignated as a Douglas DC-3-384 but impressed as C-49B-DO

Delivered to the United States Army Air Corps at San Antonio, Texas - February 22, 1941

Allocated U. S. serial number 41-7693

Allocated to Hamilton A.F.B. - April 27, 1941

Allocated to Fresno A.F.B. - December 14, 1941

Allocated to Hamilton A.F.B. - January 1, 1942

Transported to Australia by ship and arrived at the Brisbane Docks - February 5, 1942

Moved to Brisbane (Archerfied) Airport for assembly by Australian National Airways

Allocated to Allied Transport Command, USAFIA and operated by 21st Troop Carrier Squadron - February 1942

Allocated to 5th Air Force, Brisbane - September 4, 1942

Aircraft was named 'Airline Alsie'

Allocated to Allied Directorate of Air Transport - December 1942

Assigned by the A.D.A.T. to Qantas Empire Airways to operated under contract to A.D.A.T. - December 1942

Delivered to C.A.C. at Fisherman's Bend for conversion to transport configuration - February 19, 1943

Conversion completed (CAC Job No. 8) - March 21, 1943

Conversion involved the relocation of the entrance door to the port side

Delivered to 46th Troop Carrier Squadron, 317 Transport Carrier Group, Townsville - March 23, 1943

Entered service using radio call-sign 'VHCDE'

Leased to No 36 Squardon, R.A.A.F. - April 3, 1943

Taken on-charge by the R.A.A.F. - June 21, 1943

Used extensively on flights along Australian eastern seaboard and the islands to the north

A.D.A.T. advised D.C.A. that this aircraft was to be transferred to A.N.A. - April 19, 1944

Returned by the R.A.A.F. to the U.S.A.A.F., Archerfield - April 21, 1944

Assigned by Allied Directorate of Air Transport to A.N.A. for operations under charter to A.D.A.T. - April 25, 1944

Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA X22) issued for 'VHCDE' - April 25, 1944

Handed over to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd at Brisbane (Archerfield) Airport - April 26, 1944

Aircraft was fitted with Wright Cyclone G1820-65 engines

Aircraft had flown 4,125 hours 45 minutes to date

Operated by A.N.A. on night courier flights for the Allied Directorate of Air Transport

Deemed to be surplus to requirements and sold to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd - February 4, 1946

Converted to civilian standards at A.N.A.'s Brisbane workshop - 1946

Converted to seat 21 passengers and retained the port side entrance door

Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-ANP (CofR 983) - May 22, 1946

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd

Registered as a Douglas DC-3-387

Aircraft was named 'Boyana' (repose)

Converted to Wright Cyclone R1820-97 engines (G202A) - July 30, 1947

Believed to have been used for short periods by Butler Air Transport but details unknown

Transferred to Guinea Airways Ltd - June 17, 1955

Sold to Guinea Airways Ltd - August 1958

Reregistered as VH-GAI - August 17, 1958

Registered to Guinea Airways Ltd

Aircraft was renamed 'Goroka'

Guinea Airways Ltd was renamed Airlines of South Australia Pty Ltd - December 21, 1959

Rergistered as VH-ANP - January 25, 1960

Operated by Airlines of South Australia

Registered to Ansett-ANA - February 11, 1960

Registered to Airlines of South Australia Pty Ltd - February 14, 1961

Registered to Ansett-ANA - October 15, 1961

Following the transfer of DC-3 VH-ABR to A.S.A. it was ferried Adelaide - Melbourne (Essendon) - October 1961

Prepared for service with Ansett-ANA Victorian Air Coach Services with seating for 32 passengers

Repainted into Ansett-ANA Victorian Air Coach Services livery

Transferred to Ansett-ANA Victorian Air Coach Services - December 17, 1961

Withdrawn from service for major overhaul - September 6, 1964

Aircraft had flown 46,746 hours

Returned to service on completion of overhaul - October 3, 1964

Operated final Melbourne - King Island - Flinders Island - Launceston service - August 27, 1966

Converted to 'Skyliner' standard by Airlines of N.S.W. whilst still in VACS livery - September 1966

Transferred to Ansett-ANA - October 1966

Operated final revenue service - June 30, 1967

Withdrawn from use and stored in the graveyard area at Melbourne (Essendon) Airport

Sold to Simsmetal Ltd

Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - November 18, 1968

Aircraft scrapped on-site as D.C.A. refused to allow it to be scrapped elsewhere - November 4, 1969

Remains were trucked to Brooklyn, Victoria - November 7, 1969

 


 

VH-ANP. Australian National Airways - in the original livery at Brisbane Airport, circa 1948.

VH-ANP. Ansett-ANA Victorian Air Coach Services - in the full livery, location and date unknown.
VH-ANP. Ansett-ANA Victorian Air Coach Services - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, date unknown.
VH-ANP. Ansett-ANA - in the full 'Skyliner' livery at Melbourne Airport, September 1966.
VH-ANP. Ansett-ANA - in the full 'Skyliner' livery at Melbourne Airport, September 1966.
VH-ANP. Ansett-ANA - in the full 'Skyliner' livery at Melbourne Airport, September 1966.
VH-ANP. Ansett-ANA - in the basic livery at Melbourne Airport, November 1969.