VH-ANO. Douglas C-49B-DO. c/n 4094.


 

Sixth of eight aircraft ordered new by Eastern Air Lines as DC-3-201Fs - 1940

Aircraft was to be configured to seat 21 passengers with a starboard passenger door

Powered by Wright Cyclone R1820-71 engines

Construction completed at the Douglas Santa Monica plant, California - February 18, 1941

This aircraft was impressed during production by the United States Army Air Corps

Redesignated as a Douglas DC-3-384 but impressed as C-49B-DO

Delivered to the United States Army Air Corps at San Antonio, Texas - February 22, 1941

Allocated U. S. serial number 41-7691

Transferred to Bolling A.F.B. - April 2, 1941

Transferred to Mitchell A.F.B. - April 26, 1941

Transported to Australia by ship and arrived at the Brisbane Docks - February 5, 1942

Moved to Brisbane (Archerfied) Airport for assembly by Australian National Airways

Allocated to Allied Transport Command, USAFIA and operated by 21st Troop Carrier Squadron - February 1942

Allocated to 5th Air Force, Brisbane with radio call-sign 'VHCDD' - September 4, 1942

Allocated to Allied Directorate of Air Transport - November 1942

Aircraft was named 'Eager Elaine'

Delivered to C.A.C. at Fisherman's Bend for conversion to transport configuration - December 2, 1942

Conversion completed (CAC Job No. 3) - January 8, 1943

Conversion involved the relocation of the entrance door to the port side

Returned to Allied Directorate of Transport - January 9, 1943

Allocated to 46th Troop Carrier Squadron, Townsville - February 1943

Leased to No 36 Squardon, R.A.A.F. - May 24, 1943

Taken on-charge by the R.A.A.F. - June 21, 1943

Test flown as 'VH-CDD' at Townsville - July 15, 1943

Used extensively on flights along Australian eastern seaboard and the islands to the north

A.D.A.T. advised D.C.A. that this aircraft was to be transferred to A.N.A. - April 20, 1944

Returned by the R.A.A.F. to the U.S.A.A.F. - April 26, 1944

Assigned by Allied Directorate of Air Transport to A.N.A. for operations under charter to the A.D.A.T. - April 29, 1944

Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA X21) issued for 'VHCDD' - April 29, 1944

Handed over to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd at Brisbane (Archerfield) Airport - May 3, 1944

Aircraft was fitted with Wright Cyclone R-1820-65 engines

Operated by A.N.A. on night courier flights for the Allied Directorate of Air Transport

It was operated as far north as Hollandia and Finschhafen

Deemed to be surplus to requirements and sold to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd - February 25, 1945

Ownership transferred to A.N.A. - August 25, 1945

Aircraft continued to be used by A.N.A. on courier flights for the A.D.A.T.

Withdrawn from use for conversion to civilian standards at A.N.A.'s Brisbane workshop - January 1946

Converted to seat 22 passengers with port side entrance door

Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-ANO (CofR 982) - May 22, 1946

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd

Registered as a Douglas DC-3-387

Aircraft was named 'Tinana' (feather)

Badly damaged after crashing through boundary fence at Melbourne (Essendon) Airport - June 30, 1946

Aircraft experienced an engine failure on flight Melbourne (Essendon) - Launceston

It suffered brake failure on landing causing it to overshoot runway end and exit airport

The port engine was torn from its mountings

Melbourne (Essendon) Airport was then closed for runway repairs soon afterwards

Repaired and returned to service

Re-engined with Wright Cyclone R1820-97 engines - July 12, 1946

Operated final A.N.A. Douglas DC-3 service Brisbane (Archerfield) - Brisbane (Eagle Farm) - August 11, 1949

Flight crew: Captain R. Parkin; F/O P. Smith

Registered to Ansett-ANA - October 4, 1957

Ownership transferred to Ansett-ANA - October 21, 1957

'Skyliner' tail titles indicating its passenger configuration were added during the early 1960s

Major overhaul was completed at Melbourne (Essendon) Airport - February 23, 1965

Withdrawn from operating Ansett-ANA Victorian Air Coach Services flights - September 29, 1969

Registered to Ansett Transport Industries (Operations) Pty Ltd - December 18, 1969

Withdrawn from use and prepared for sale to Pan Indonesian Airlines - February 1970

Had been painted in the Pan Indonesian's dark-blue and white livery - March 18, 1970

The intended sale did not eventuate and the aircraft was parked up in the Essendon Airport Graveyard

Test flown at Melbourne (Essendon) Airport - July 19, 1970

Ownership transferred to Consolidated Aviation Holdings - July 20, 1970

Sold to Reseau Aerien Interieur Cambodgien t/a United Khmer Aviation, Cambodia - March 1971

Entered onto the Cambodian Aircraft Register as XU-FAI - March 4, 1971

Departed Melbourne (Essendon) on ferry flight to Cambodia - March 4, 1971

Ferry route: Melbourne - Alice Springs - Darwin - Dili - Denpasar - Singapore - Phnom Penh

Flight crew: Captains B. de Lissa, H. T. Hasselo

Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - March 9, 1971

Reported to have been scrapped in 1975

 


 

VH-ANO. Australian National Airways - in the original livery at Brisbane Airport, circa 1948.
VH-ANO. Australian National Airways - in the revised livery at Cairns Airport, May 1959.
VH-ANO. Australian National Airways - in the revised livery at Cairns Airport, May 1959.
VH-ANO. Ansett-ANA - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, date unknown.
VH-ANO. Ansett-ANA - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, April 1966.
VH-ANO. Ansett-ANA - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, date unknown.
VH-ANO. Ansett-ANA - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, September 1966.
VH-ANO. Ansett-ANA - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, September 1966.
VH-ANO. Ansett-ANA - in the full livery at Brisbane Airport, April 1968.
VH-ANO. Ansett-ANA - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, September 1969.
VH-ANO. Pan Indonesian Airlines - in the basic livery at Melbourne Airport, July 1970.
VH-ANO. Pan Indonesian Airlines - in the basic livery at Melbourne Airport, July 1970.
VH-ANO. Pan Indonesian Airlines - in the basic livery at Melbourne Airport, November 1970.