VH-ANN. Douglas C-49-DO. c/n 3272.


 

Order placed by Transcontinental & Western Air as a DC-3-362 but cancelled - January 31, 1941

Impressed during production by the United States Army Air Corps

Construction completed at Long Beach, California - February 1942

Built as a Douglas DC-3-384 but impressed as C-49-DO

Delivered to the United States Army Air Corps - February 23, 1941

Allocated U. S. serial number 41-7687

Delivered to Hamilton, Victoria - December 27, 1941

Allocated to Air Transport Command, Amberley, Queensland - February 5, 1942

Allocated to the 4th Air Force - April 1942

Allocated to 21st Troop Carrier Squadron - August 1942

Allocated to 5th Air Force, Brisbane - September 1, 1942

Allocated to 46th Troop Carrier Squadron, 317th Troop Carrier Group, Townsville - December 1942

Operated using the radio call-sign 'VHCDB'

Aircraft was named 'Lady Eve'

Delivered to Commonwealth Aircraft Corportation for freighter conversion - December 4, 1942

Conversion completed (CAC Job 4) - January 26, 1943

Allocated to No 36 Squadron, R.A.A.F. - June 24, 1943

A.D.A.T. advised D.C.A. that this aircraft was to be transferred to A.N.A. - April 20, 1944

Returned by the R.A.A.F. to the U.S.A.A.F. - April 22, 1944

Assigned by Allied Directorate of Air Transport to A.N.A. for operations under charter to the A.D.A.T. - April 22, 1944

Delivered to Archerfield, Brisbane - April 23, 1944

Handed over to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd - April 30, 1944

Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA X19) issued - May 4, 1944

Aircraft was fitted with Wright Cyclone GR 1820-65 engines

Operated by A.N.A. on night courier flights for the Allied Directorate of Air Transport

Badly damaged whilst landing at Nadzab (Captain S. G. Hack) - July 13, 1944

Deemed to be surplus to requirements and sold to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd - January 25, 1946

Converted to civilian standards at A.N.A.'s Sydney workshop to seat 24 passengers

Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-ANN (CofR 972) - May 22, 1946

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd

Registered as a Douglas DC-3-G202A-65

Leased to Guinea Airways - July 20, 1953

Registered to Guinea Airways Ltd - July 20, 1953

Flew airline's inaugural Adelaide - Port Lincoln - Minnipa service - October 2, 1953

Flight crew: Captain V. Creche; F/O W. Taylor

Flew commemorative 40th Anniversary flight of 1st South Australian Air Mail Service - November 23, 1957

Route: Adelaide (West Beach) - Parafield - Gawler

Reregistered as VH-GAH - August 2, 1958

Registered to Guinea Airways Ltd

Guinea Airways Ltd renamed Airlines of South Australia - January 18, 1960

Reregistered as VH-ANN - January 25, 1960

Registered to Guinea Airways Ltd

Registered to Ansett-ANA - February 12, 1960

Registered to Airlines of South Australia Pty Ltd - February 14, 1961

Repainted in Airlines of South Australia livery at Melbourne (Essendon) Airport August 13, 1962

Registered to Australian National Airways Pty Ltd - December 14, 1964

Leased to Queensland Airlines - July - September 1965

Withdrawn from service at Adelaide (West Beach) - April 1966

Ferried Adelaide - Melbourne (Essendon) for storage - April 16, 1966

Aircraft had flown 47,329 hours

Sold for scrap metal value of 500 Pounds - June 26, 1967

Aircraft scrapped on-site as D.C.A. refused to allow it to be scrapped elsewhere

Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - July 25, 1967

Nose section retained by Darryl Gibbs of Clyde North Aeronautical Preservation Group, North Clyde, Victoria

Nose section planned to be moved to Wagga Wagga, N.S.W.

 


 

VH-ANN. Guinea Airways Ltd - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, circa 1955.

VH-ANN. Airlines of South Australia - in the full livery at Adelaide Airport, date unknown.
VH-ANN. Airlines of South Australia - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, date unknown.
VH-ANN. Airlines of South Australia - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, date unknown.
VH-ANN. Airlines of South Australia - in the partial livery at Melbourne Airport, July 1967.