VH-AIC. Douglas C-47A-1-DK. c/n 12076.

 

Construction completed at the Douglas Oaklohoma City plant - November 1943

Built as a Douglas C-47A-1-DK

Allocated the U. S. serial number 42-92292

Delivered to the United States Army Air Force - December 22, 1943

Aircraft was intended for the Royal Air Force as 'FL648' but was not taken up

Allocated to the Royal Australian Air Force - January 1944

Departed Fairfield on the ferry flight to Australia - January 18, 1944

Arrived at No. 3 Aircraft depot, RAAF Amberley, Queensland - January 30, 1944

Allocated the R.A.A.F. Serial Number A65-30 with the radio call-sign 'VHCUB'

Received at the No. 14 Repair & Salvage Unit - February 10, 1944

Issued to No. 35 Squadron - February 20, 1944

Received by A.N.A. at Archerfield for autopilot and hydraulic repairs - February 26, 1944

Returned to No. 35 Squadron - March 04, 1944

Aircraft allocated the squadron code 'FD-U' and letters applied to the rear fuselage

Received at No. 4 Aircraft Depot, Kalgoorlie - July 22, 1944

Returned to No. 35 Squadron - August 13, 1944

Transferred to No. 34 Squadron - April 17, 1945

Issued to the Department of Aircraft Production - March 05, 1946

Received at No. 1 Aircraft Depot, RAAF Laverton, Victoria - April 12, 1946

Returned to the Department of Aircraft Production - May 30, 1946

Issued to No. 1 Aircraft Depot, RAAF Laverton, Victoria - October 31, 1946

Issued to No. 36 Squadron, 86 Wing - November 08, 1946

Received at No. 2 Communications Unit - November 24, 1946

Inspected by Qantas Empire Airways engineers - December 23, 1948

Received at the Department of Aircraft Production - October 06, 1950

Issued to the Aircraft Research Development Unit (ARDU) - August 02, 1951

Converted to a navigational training aircraft - November 24, 1951

Returned to the Department of Aircraft Production - March 07, 1952

Issued to the School of Air Navigation, East Sale, Victoria - September 25, 1952

Aircraft was operated under the new radio call-sign 'VMJRC'

Received by the Department of Aircraft Production - September 14, 1955

The navigational training equipment was removed

Issued to No. 1 Aircraft Depot, RAAF Laverton, Victoria - March 08, 1956

Issued to the School of Navigation, East Sale as a the unit's reserve aircraft - April 04, 1956

Received at No. 1 Aircraft Depot, RAAF Laverton, Victoria for disposal - June 17, 1964

Stored at RAAF Laverton awaiting sale

Aircraft was placed on the 'disposal list' - August 22, 1969

Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-AIC - November 11, 1971

Registered to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Australian Government, Canberra

Aircraft was prepared for disposal via the Australian Aid program to the Cambodian Air Force

Allocated the Cambodian Air Force Serial Number '71-292' - November 16, 1971

Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - November 22, 1971

Formal acceptance by the Cambodian Air Force as '71-292' - March 28, 1972

Withdrawn from service and used as a source of spare parts - June 1974

Broken up at Phnom Penh - circa 1970s

 

VH-AIC. Australian Aid - in the all-metal livery at Melbourne Essendon Airport, November 1971.

(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 0250-642.)

VH-AIC. Australian Aid - in the all-metal livery at Melbourne Essendon Airport, November 1971.

(G. Bennett Copyright Image 0251-106.)