A65-65. Douglas C-47B-15-DK. c/n 15192-26637.
Construction completed at the Douglas Oklahoma City plant - November 1944
Built as a Douglas C-47B-15-DK
Powered by Pratt & Whitney R-1830-90C engines
Allocated U.S. serial number 43-49376
Delivered to the U.S.A.A.F. - November 16, 1944
Transferred to Royal Australian Air Force under the lend / lease agreement
Delivered to R.A.A.F. 3 Aircraft Depot - December 10, 1944
Allocated the R.A.A.F. serial number A65-65 with radio call-sign 'VHCUV'
Issued to No 37 Squadron, 86th Transport Wing - December 16, 1946
Issued to Central Flying School (CFS), East Sale - July 14, 1950
Issued to Base Headquarters, East Sale - August 25, 1950
Issued to 86th Transport Wing - August 25, 1952Issued to No 36 Squadron - October 1952
Issued to No 38 Squadron with radio call-sign 'VMJRO' - December 1953Issued to No 34 Squadron - August 7, 1955
Issued to No 10 Squadon, Townsville with radio call-sign 'VMLBA' - August 10, 1956
Issued to Base Headquarters, East Sale - February 7, 1961
Issued to No 38 Squadron - July 1, 1968
Issued to Base Headquarters, East Sale - October 12, 1971
Issued to No 10 Squadron - December 1, 1971
Issued to No 38 Squadron - December 2, 1971
Issued to Aircraft Research & Development Unit (ARDU), Edinburgh, Adelaide - August 28, 1973
Issued to Base Headquarters, Darwin - April 12, 1978
Allocated as one of six aircraft to be donated to Papua New Guinea Defence Force - August 3, 1982
Allocated the PNGDF serial 'P2-006'
Aircraft crashed on take-off from runway 27 at Nadzab Airport, Lae - November 18, 1987
Engine power was lost and the aircraft made a wheels-up belly landing just east of the runway threshold
The wing was ripped off during the landing but all crew and passengers survived
The wrecked aircraft was towed back to Nadzab Airport for stipping of useful parts
No attempt was made to rebuild the aircraft and it became an instructional airframe
The hulk remained at Nadzab Airport into the early 1990s
A65-65. Royal Australian Air Force - in the full livery at Tamworth Airport, April 1981.
A65-65. Royal Australian Air Force - in the full livery at Tamworth Airport, August 1981.