G-AGKU. Consolidated Vultee LB32-3 Liberator Mk II. c/n 45.



The original order was placed by the United States Army Air Force - ?

Constructed by Consolidated Aircraft Corporation, San Diego, USA - September 1941

Allocated to the Royal Air Force - October 1941

Taken 'on-charge' by the Royal Air Force at Dorval, Canada - October 08, 1941

It was allocated the RAF serial number 'AL547'

Departed Canada (Dorval) on its ferry flight to the United Kingdom - October 16, 1941

It arrived at Scotland (Prestwick) on completion of its ferry flight - October 22, 1941

Ferry route: Dorval - Gander - Prestwick

Handed-over to Scotish Aviation at Prestwick for 'entry-into-service' preparations - October 22, 1941

Issued to RAF 29 Maintenance Unit - November 23, 1941

Returned to Scottish Aviation (Prestwick) for Bomber Command modifications - October 05, 1942

Departed Preswick on delivery to RAF 511 Squadron (Lyneham) - December 05, 1942

It returned to Prestwick due to bad weather enroute and was damaged whilst landing

Repaired on site which included all 'transport standard' modifications

Delivered to RAF 511 Squadron (Lyneham) - December 30, 1942

It sustained damage during a transit flight to Gibraltar - January 10, 1943

Delivered by road to Scottish Aviation as a 'Category B' airframe for repairs - December 09, 1943

Modified by Scottish Aviation to BOAC standards

Ferried Prestwick - Lyneham on delivery to BOAC - June 22, 1944

Handed-over to British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) for Indian Ocean services

Qantas Empire Airways (QEA) were to opertate these services

Entered onto the British Aircraft Register as G-AGKU (CofR 9525/1) - June 28, 1944

Registered to British Overseas Airways Corporation, London

The Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA No 7075) issued to BOAC - July 24, 1944

Departed Lyneham on its delivery flight to Australia - July 29, 1944

Whilst en-route to Tripoli the aircraft diverted to Rabat with radio problems - July 30, 1944

Departed Rabat to resume delivery flight but returned due to a hydraulic problem - July 30, 1944

Ferried Rabat - Cairo for rectification of the hydraulic problem - August 05, 1944

Departed Cairo to resume the delivery flight to Australia - August 09, 1944

It arrived at Perth having completed its delivery flight - August 13, 1944

Delivery route: Lyneham - Rabat - Cairo - Karachi - Ratmalana - Perth

Ferried Perth (Guilford) - Brisbane (Archerfield) for entry into service with Qantas - ?, 1944

Test flown Brisbane (Archerfield) - Brisbane (Archerfield) September 19, 1944

Ferried Brisbane (Archerfield) - Perth (Guilford) - September 22, 1944

It was damaged whilst landing at Perth (Guilford) when the nosewheel collapsed - November 16, 1944

The aircraft was operating Ceylon - Perth

Repairs were effected using parts from an USAAF B-24 held by Qantas at Brisbane (Archerfield)

Repairs completed at Perth (Guilford) - November 12, 1944

This aircraft made 102 Indian Ocean crossings between Perth and Ceylon

Force-landed back at Learmonth (Western Australia) after an engine failed on take-off for Ceylon - December 18, 1945

The aircraft was then transferred to the Qantas Sydney base - December 21, 1945

The Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA) expired - August 26, 1946

The aircraft was withdrawn from service and handed to the Commonwealth Disposals Commission

It was advertised for sale but was broken-up at Sydney - June 1947

Cancelled from the British Aircraft Register - December 02, 1947

To view the complete Operations Movement Record for this aircraft please click 'HERE'



G-AGKU. Qantas Empire Airways - in the wartime livery at Perth Guilford Airport, November 16, 1944.

(Qantas Heritage Collection Copyright Image 1950-066.)