VH-BNJ. Lockheed 414-08 Hudson IVA. c/n 6041.
Was also registered as: VH-EWA; VH-AIU; VH-AGS; VH-KOY.
This aircraft was built as a Lockheed A28-LO Hudson
It was allocated the United States serial number '41-23182' but it was not taken up
Delivered to the R.A.A.F. 2nd Aircraft Depot, Richmond, N.S.W. - December 05, 1941
Entered onto the Australian Military Aircraft Register as A16-112
It was flight tested at Sydney (Richmond) - December 13, 1941
The aircraft was fitted with dual controls and issued to 1 O.T.U. - December 23, 1941
Issued to No 14 Squadron - July 08, 1942
Issued to No 32 Squadron - December 22, 1942
Fitted with ASV and IFF equipment at Canberra (Forest Hill) - May 1943
Issued to No 6 Squadron - May 20, 1943
Issued to 1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton for modification for survey flights - August 24, 1943
Issued to Survey Flight - May 19, 1944
Issued to 2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond for storage - May 06, 1946
Arrived Sydney (Richmond) for storage - May 14, 1946
The aircraft was deemed to be surplus to requirements and was withdrawn from use
Sold to Mr Ellis, Sherman Motors, Dubbo, N.S.W. for 1000 pounds - November 29, 1946
The sale to Mr Ellis was cancelled - September 04, 1947
Sold to Mr S. Godden, Potts Point, Sydney, N.S.W. - September 10, 1947
The aircraft was released to the new owner by C.D.C. at Sydney (Richmond) - October 13, 1947
Although the aircraft was purchased by S. Godden it was paid for by his business partner Mr Warren Penny
Mr Penny subsequently sold this aircraft to a third party but it was later repossessed by him
It was then used by Mr Penny as a guarentee to the Shell Oil Company for his fuel bills
Sold to the Shell Oil Company by Warren Penny for 250 pounds
Acquired by East-West Airlines from Shell via Wilmore Aviation Services - 1949
The aircraft underwent conversion to civil requirements by Curtis-Madsen Aircrafts Pty Ltd - April 1949
East-West sought approval to ferry the aircraft Sydney (Bankstown) - Tamworth - July 22, 1949
Further conversion work was carried out by East-West at Tamworth for the granting of its CofA
Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register (CofR 1682) as VH-BNJ - December 08, 1949
Registered to East West Airlines Pty Ltd, Tamworth
The aircraft was licenced to carry 16 passengers and 3 crew
Test flown at Tamworth (R. Hartnell, A. Smith) - December 09, 1949
Operated first revenue service Tamworth - Sydney - Tamworth (Capt R. Hartnell, A. Smith) - December 23, 1949
Reregistered as VH-EWA - March 21, 1951
The aircraft was named 'Peel City'
It was damaged at Sydney (Kingsford Smith) during a night engine run in front of the TAA hangar - April 01, 1953
The undercarriage was removed and major structural damage was sustained when it ran into a ditch
Sold to Adastra Airways in the damaged condition - June 1953
Reregistered as VH-AIU - July 03, 1953
Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - January 05, 1955
During the rebuild by Adastra Wright Cyclone engines were fitted to provide better altitude performance
The converted the aircraft was now classed as a Hudson Mk III
Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-AGS - January 04, 1956
Registered to Adastra Aerial Surveys Pty Ltd, Sydney
Was operated in the markings of Westralian Aerial Surveys (Adastra subsidiary) - 1959 - 1962
It had flown 7,117 hours - March 12, 1962
During operations in Western Australia it was fitted with a magnetometer
This instrument was fitted on the fuselage centreline between the fins
East-West Airlines purchased Adastra Aerial Surveys - ?
It was withdrawn from use and stored at Tamworth - April 06, 1973
Sold to Malcolm Long
Ferried Tamworth - Melbourne (Point Cook) for storage - March 26, 1976
Moved by road from Melbourne (Point Cook) - Melbourne (Mooabbin) - 1984
The aircraft underwent an extensive restoration whilst at Melbourne (Moorabbin)
Reregistered as VH-KOY - April 07, 1993
Test flown at Melbourne (Moorabbin) as 'A16-112 / KO-Y' - April 10, 1993
Ferried Moorabbin - Wangaratta, Victoria as an exhibit / storage at the Airworld Museum - June 19, 1993
Ferried Wangaratta - Coolangatta following the closure of the Airworld Museum - November 05, 2000
Participated in the filming of the movie 'The Great Raid' - July 2002
Malcolm Long and the Temora Aviation Museum entered into a long term loan agreement on this aircraft
Arrived Temora, NSW on long term loan to the Temora Aviation Museum - December 06, 2003
Ownership transferred to the Temora Aviation Museum - May 14, 2004
Registered to Temora Aviation Museum Inc - December 19, 2005
Current with the Temora Aviation Museum - 2012
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the old livery at Melbourne Essendon Airport, date unknown.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 1806-001.)
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the old livery at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, April 24, 1965.
(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 1806-032.)
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, February 18, 1969.
(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 1806-034.)
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, June 12, 1969.
(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 1806-022.)
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, December 21, 1969.
(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 1806-033.)
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, August 1972.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 1806-004.)
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Brisbane Airport, date unknown.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 1806-021.)
VH-AGS. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Tamworth Airport, December 1975.
(G. Bennett Copyright Image 1806-027.)
VH-KOY. Malcolm Long - in the 'RAAF WW II' livery at Coolangatta Airport, April 2002.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 1806-025.)