VH-BKY. Lockheed 414-08 Hudson IVA c/n 6034.
Was also registered as: VH-EWB; VH-EWS; VH-SMO; VH-AGP.
This aircraft was built as a Lockheed 414-08 Hudson Mk IVA
It was allocated the United Stares serial number '41-23175'
Transferred to the Royal Australian Air Force under the lend / lease scheme
Delivered to R.A.A.F. 2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond - December 05, 1941
Entered onto the Australian Military Aircraft Register as A16-105
Issued to 1 OTU (Special Transport Flight) Bairnsdale - December 20, 1941
Damaged when skidded off runway and went through a fence whilst landing at West Junction, Tasmania - July 10, 1942
Transferred to North Eastern Area to transport troops and supplies - December 10, 1942
Operational flying was based at Ward's Airstrip, Port Moresby then to Soputa and Dobodura
Returned to 1 OTU - January 23, 1943
Modified by having dual controls fitted - August 28, 1943
Iussed to 2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond - April 03, 1945
Withdrawn from use and stored by 2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond - November 19, 1945
It was deemed to be surplus to requirements and sold to European Air Transport (EAT), Sydney - September 24, 1947
The sale price was quoted as being 200 Pounds
Released to European Air Transport - November 25, 1947
Struck-off-charge - December 11, 1947
Accepted by European Air Transport at Sydney (Richmond) - December 12, 1947
Aircraft was not converted to civilian standards
Application to register aircraft as 'VH-CMA' was refused - March 01, 1949
Purchased by Curtis Madsen Aircrafts from the liquidators of European Air Transport - October 1949
When acquired the aircraft was in full military configuration and was subsequently converted to basic civil standards
Test flown after overhaul - October 31, 1949
Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-BKY - October 31, 1949
Registered to Curtis Madsen Aircrafts Pty Ltd
The aircraft was named 'Riverina'
It was utilised on regular services from Sydney to Cootamundra, Temora and West Wyalong
Curtis Madsen were experiencing financial difficulties and the aircraft was sold to East-West Airlines - October 1950
Registered to East-West Airlines Ltd, Tamworth - October 21, 1950
Curtis Madsen ceased operations - November 17, 1950
Curtis Madsen's assests excluding the two Hudsons was taken over by Overland Air Services
East-West Airlines acquired VH-BKY and VH-JCM and other spare parts for 14,000 Pounds - November 20, 1950
The aircraft was erried to Tamworth where it was converted to full civilian standards
This aircraft did not enter service with East-West Airlines whilst registered as VH-BKY
Reregistered as VH-EWB - December 21, 1950
It was renamed 'Cathederal City'
Operated its first East-West revenue service - December 21, 1950
Ownership was transferred to South Coast Airways Pty Ltd - August 26, 1953
It was damaged whilst landing at Brisbane Airport when the starboard undercarriage collapsed - July 20, 1954
It was operating the scheduled Tamworth - Glen Innes - Brisbane service
Withdrawn from passenger service and transferred to the Special Projects Division - 1957
Converted for high altitude aerial photography work for the N.S.W. Lands Department contract
The conversion was estimated to have cost 14,000 Pounds
Reregistered as VH-EWS - March 21, 1958
Commenced initial aerial photography / mapping contract - July 21, 1958
Handed over to N.S.W. Lands Department at Sydney (Kingsford Smith) - November 17, 1958
The aircraft was renamed 'George Vincent' (in honour of the N.S.W. Surveyor-General)
Withdrawn from service by East-West Airlines - August 11, 1960
Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - May 30, 1961
South Coast Airways was wound up - March 31, 1962
Sold to Jon Fairfax & Sons t/a Herald Flying Services - September 10, 1962
Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-SMO - October 04, 1962
Leased to Adastra Aerial Surveys Pty Ltd, Sydney - October 04, 1962
Experienced an in-flight fire in the starboard engine whilst operating over Richmond, N.S.W. - June 02, 1965
Returned to Sydney (Kingsford Smith) where the damage was repaired over the next 3 months
Registered to Sepal Pty Ltd, Mascot - June 24, 1966
Reregistered as VH-AGP - May 02, 1967
Withdrawn from use and stored at Tamworth Airport - 1971
Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - November 17, 1971
Ferried Tamworth - Melbourne (Moorabbin) under a 'Permit To Fly' - November 10, 1976
Sold to Malcolm Long - November 1976
It was restored to 'military' configuration and marked as A16-123 'FX-F'
During the restoration a stock Hudson nose was obtained from New Zealand and grafted onto the airframe
This was necessary as the existing nose had been heavily modified for survey work
Ferried Melbourne (Moorabbin) - Melbourne (Point Cook) - December 05, 1976
It was a static exhibit at the Point Cook Air Show marked as 'A16-123' - November 1977
Transferred to Wings of Yesterday Museum, Tallebudgera, Queensland - November 21, 1981
Ferried Melbourne (Pt Cook) - Tamworth - Coolangatta under 'Permit To Fly' - November 22, 1981
Transported by road to Chewing Gum Museum where it was placed on display
Australian registration VH-FXF was reserved but not taken up
Ferried Melbourne (Moorabbin) - Wangaratta for display at the Airworld Museum - March 1986
It was repainted with the correct R.A.A.F. serial 'A16-105'
Sold to the Australian War Memorial, Canberra - January 15, 2001
On display in the ANZAC Hall, Australian War Memorial, Canberra as A16-105 'FX-F'
VH-AGP. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the old livery over Sydney, date unknown.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 1806-018.)
VH-AGP. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Sydney Bankstown Airport, date unknown.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 1806-003.)
VH-AGP. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Tamworth Airport, December 18, 1974.
(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 1806-023.)
VH-AGP. Adastra Aerial Surveys - in the final livery at Tamworth Airport, November 1975.
(G. Bennett Copyright Image 1806-030.)