VH-GVH. de Havilland DH-114-1B Heron. c/n 14033.


This aircraft was ordered new by New Zealand National Airways Corporation - 1953

It was built at the de Havilland plant at Chester

Accepted at Chester by NZNAC - October 27, 1953

Entered onto the New Zealand Aircraft Register as ZK-BBO - ?

Registered to New Zealand National Airways Corporation, Wellington, New Zealand

The aircraft was named 'Mako' (Bellbird)

It was reregistered as ZK-BEQ - December 08, 1953

The registration was changed as the regulatory authority felt that the existing registration was not

appropriate for the carriage of Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to New Zealand

Used as Queen Elizabeth II personal aircraft during the Royal Tour of New Zealand 1953 - 1954

It was reconfigured with a 'Royal Suite' that had been supplied by de Havilland, UK

At the end of the Royal Tour this suite was returned to England

Departed Auckland on the ferry flight to Australia - January 18, 1958

Arrived Melbourne (Essendon) on completion of the ferry flight - January 20, 1958

Ferry route: Auckland - Norfolk Island - Coffs Harbour - Sydney - Melbourne

Sold to Southern Airlines - January 20, 1958

Cancelled from the New Zealand Aircraft Register - January 26, 1958

Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-GVH - January 26, 1958

Registered to Southern Airlines Ltd

Thev aircraft was named 'Queen of the South' at naming ceremony at Naracoorte, S.A. - February 15, 1958

This was to honour the local community who raised part of the purchase price of this aircraft

The operating licence of Southern Airlines was sold to A.T.I. (Operations) Pty Ltd - December 22, 1958

This aircraft was not owned or operated by Ansett Transport Industries (Operations) Pty Ltd

Sold to Qantas Airways Ltd - January 06, 1959

Registered to Qantas Airways Ltd, Sydney

Sold to Fiji Airways Ltd - April 23, 1959

Cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register - August 10, 1959

Entered onto the Fijian Aircraft Register as VQ-FAL - September 08, 1959

The aircraft overran the airstrip on landing at Ura, Taveuni - December 11, 1965

The extensive damage proved to be uneconomical to repair and it was written off on site