VH-EAE. Douglas C-47B-30-DK. c/n 16348-33096.
Was also registered as: 44-76764; A65-95.
Construction was completed at the Douglas Oklahoma City plant - April 1945
It was built as a Douglas C-47B-30-DK
It was allocated the United States serial number '44-76764'
Delivered to the United States Army Air Force - April 20, 1945
Transferred to the Royal Australian Air Force under the lend / lease agreement
Delivered to the Royal Australian Air Force at Brisbane - May 08, 1945
Entered onto the Australian Military Aircraft Register as 'A65-95'
It was operated using the radio call-sign 'VHRFL'
Issued to No 38 Squadron, 90 Transport Wing
Issued to No 37 Squadron, 86 Transport Wing and based at Schofields, N.S.W. - August 15, 1946
The wartime camouflage livery was removed and the aircraft utilised on courier flights to Japan
Issued to No 36 Squadron, 86 Transport Wing based at Richmond, N.S.W.
Issued to the Central Flying School, East Sale, Victoria
Supported the training of GCA operators at the RAAF School of Radio, Ballarat, Victoria
Transferred to Aircraft Research & Development Unit (ARDU), Laverton, Victoria - March 14, 1961
Transferred to ARDU Edinburgh, South Australia - February 1977
Withdrawn from use and stored at Adelaide (Edinburgh) - 1997
Struck-off-charge and sold by Commonwealth Disposals Board - 2000
The aircraft had flown 14,900 hours
Sold to Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) - July 2000
Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-EAE - July 21, 2000
Registered to Historical Aircraft Restoration Society Inc, Albion Park
As this aircraft had been canabalised over the years it was missing many vital parts that had to be sourced
before the aircraft could be flown to Sydney (Bankstown)
The restoration to airworthy standards was carried out by HARS at Sydney (Bankstown)
It was damaged during a violent wind storm at Sydney (Bankstown) - January 08, 2003
Damage was caused to rudder, tail and the control systems when the rudder chock became dislodged
It was repaired on site
Ferried Sydney (Bankstown) - Albion Park Regional Airport - February 20, 2003
The aircraft retains its basic RAAF 'ARDU' livery with 'Historical Aircraft Restoration Society' titles
Flew its first HARS mission when it flew Albion Park - Temora - March 22, 2003
Registered to Historical Aircraft Restoration Society Inc - December 20, 2005
This aircraft is based at the HARS Museum, Albion Park Regional Airport, Albion Park, N.S.W.
Current with HARS
A65-95. Royal Australian Air Force - in the standard 'ARDU' livery at Melbourne Essendon Airport, May 1975.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 0250-142.)
A65-95. Royal Australian Air Force - in the standard 'ARDU' livery at RAAF Base Edinburgh, Adelaide, October 1975.
(R. N. Smith Collection Copyright Image 0250-379.)
A65-95. Royal Australian Air Force - in the final 'ARDU' livery at Sydney Bankstown Airport, April 1986.
(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 0250-143.)
VH-EAE. Historical Aircraft Restoration Society - in the basic 'RAAF ARDU' livery at Albion Park Regional Airport, November 2003.
(R. N. Smith Copyright Image 0250-378.)